Mountain Collegium early music and folk music workshop will take place June 30 to July 6, 2019 on the campus of Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC. The faculty will include multiple instructors for recorders, viols, and voices. In addition, there will be opportunities for sackbuts, shawms, dulcians, cornetti, harpsichord, folk harps, and capped reeds. In the evening “Big Bow and Blow” open playing sessions people are known to pull out all sorts of instruments, including psalteries, plucked dulcimers, melodica, and racketts.
The musical focus is primarily early music (Renaissance and baroque), but there is also a significant amount of folk music (Irish, English, Appalachian, African, etc.). Classes focused on medieval, Sephardic, and contemporary music have also been offered in the past. There are 2 evening Country Dance sessions, open to all (for playing or dancing). Check out our website to see who our faculty was last year.
– The WCU campus is nestled in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Even in summer, the mornings are cool and crisp. The hiking and walking is fabulous and the scenery is gorgeous.
– We’re housed in the Honors Dorms. Double rooms (room shared by 2 people) has a private bathroom. Single rooms (1 person in the room) have a semi-private bathroom (1 bathroom shared between 2 single rooms).
– Classes are held in common rooms (break rooms and lounges) in the Honors Dorms. No hauling precious instruments across campus in the rain, and your room is always nearby.
– Dining is in the cafeteria, except for 2 special catered meals the first and last night.
– Last year, we had to close enrollment when we reached our maximum capacity. Yes, we really are that popular.